I want to take my child abroad on holiday

You have to get permission from everyone who has parental responsibility for the child before you can leave the country with them, even if just for a holiday – unless you have a court order that says the child lives with you.

If you take your child abroad without permission, you may be committing a serious crime called child abduction.

I have a court order

If you have an order from the court that says the child lives with you (a child arrangements order or residence order), you can go abroad with your child for up to 28 days without the consent of the other parent.

Getting permission

It’s best to get written permission to go abroad, such as a letter, which you can show at the border if you’re asked.

You may also want to bring your divorce certificate or a birth certificate for the child, particularly if your surnames are different.

If you can’t get permission from the other parent, you can apply to the court for a specific issue order to do so. It’s best to get legal advice on this first.

Need something else? Just ask us.

Get in touch on [email protected]